Ayurveda- The benefits Of Ancient Indian Herbs For Hair Care
People face a number of hair problems. Some people complain of rough and unmanageable hair, while others complain of hair thinning, hair loss and baldness. Lifestyles, exposure, pollution and stress are enemies of hair. In many areas there is poor quality of water, which damages hair. Harsh and chemical based cosmetics too trigger allergic reactions.
How does one look after the hair in the face of so many difficulties? Frankly, it is a tough task. I will describe in this article the advantages of Indian herbs and show you can look after your hair the natural way by using herbs for hair growth. India is blessed with a number of ancient herbs for hair growth which are used widely and effectively. The benefits of Indian herbs are many. They help restore hair health. Regular use will result in great looking and beautiful hair. The Indian traditional medicine system, Ayurveda, is based on herbal treatments which are very useful for hair care. Most of these treatments are quite simple and effective.
Here are six common ayurvedic methods that are used for hair care.
- Bhringraj: One of the most important herbs for hair care is Bhringraj. It Bhringraj oil is used as a hair growth remedy in India and is highly recommended for premature hair loss. Bhrigraj provides nourishment to hair and helps in soothing the scalp, facilitating growth of new hair follicles. It is very effective in restoring hair volume. Many brands offer Bhringraj oil and it is easily available. It can also be made at home by using powdered bhringraj dry leaves and heating them with coconut oil. The oil should be used regularly by applying to the scalp and leaving it for some time so that it is absorbed. It is then washed with a mild shampoo. Bhringraj enhances regeneration and growth time of hair, increasing the hair follicles in the growth phase. Apart from oil, a paste of bhringraj leaves with water can be applied to the scalp as well.
- Amla: Amla is a wonder fruit used for skin and beauty needs. It has traditionally been used as part of hair care. Many different brands of amla hair oil are available. Using it regularly improves blood circulation in the scalp. It provides nourishment to the hair follicles and a soothing effect on your scalp. People who use amla oil regularly have luscious, well growing hair. It is also helpful in fighting dandruff and restores essential oil production on the scalp. It is a rich source of Vitamin C, which is an antioxidant and an essential vitamin for hair growth. If you do not like manufactured amla oil, you can easily make it at home. Simply heat some coconut oil with amla powder till it turns brown. Allow it to cool before you apply it on your hair. Like all herbal products, you have to leave it for a while and also use it regularly for the results to show.
- Fenugreek (methi): Methi, which is commonly consumed in India, is also very helpful in hair care. Methi seeds are a good source of folic acid, Vitamin A, C and K, which are essential components that help in skin and hair growth. Rich in protein and nicotinic acid, methi or fenugreek seeds are very effective in reducing hair fall and dandruff. More importantly, they reduce dryness of scalp and prevent hair thinning. Include methi in your diet and you will begin to see the results by having beautiful hair!
- Brahmi: Brahmi is a herb that has many properties. It is used for stress relief and also has many uses in beauty and hair care. It treats dry and damaged scalp and thereby reduces hair fall. It helps in fighting dandruff and in split ends of hair. It is recommended that you use Brahmi oil regularly to massage your hair to soothe and nourish your hair.
- Triphala: The Triphala herb is used to cleanse the digestive system but it has great benefits for hair care as well. It treats damaged hair and cures infections as it has antibacterial and antifungal properties. It is thus a powerful force against dandruff. Triphala powder is mixed with coconut oil and applied on the scalp for optimum results. Included in the diet, it results in good health, which reflects in your looks and hair. By improving the digestive and liver functions, Triphala results in providing good overall health.
- Neem: Neem is a very important medicinal plant of India. It is used to cure many hair problems such as dandruff, dryness, and lice removal. It is a natural hair loss remedy and fights fungal or parasitic infections. Neem is used in cosmetic preparations for healthy and smooth skin, and its oil helps in strengthening hair roots keeps the scalp healthy and infection free. You can make a neem hair preparation simply at home: neem leaves boiled in water is used to rinse the hair after shampoo, which keeps the scalp healthy.
These are some ancient Indian herbs that are used for hair and scalp health. Using them regularly will stop hair loss and result in healthy and beautiful hair. Ayurveda provides natural herbs that are of real help in hair care. Remember that these remedies act slowly and must be used regularly over several weeks for results to show. But they work for long term health.
Along with using natural herbs for hair and beauty care, you must take care of your health and well-being as well, because your skin and hair is a reflection of your inner health. You must eat a well-balanced diet and avoid irregular hours. Your diet should include green leafy vegetables, milk, fresh yogurt, coconut, fruit and nuts. Avoid oily and fried snacks. Reduce stress in your life. And make natural remedies as a part of your lifestyle. Once you start doing these regularly, you will see the results for yourself: it will reflect on your skin and hair. Ayurvedic herbs are an alternative to shampoos containing chemicals. Fortunately, shampoos with herbs and natural ingredients are available widely. Use these herbs for hair growth and see the difference for yourself!